“I had a full body eargasm to this yesterday. Take your best headphones, your most comfortable chair and fold in your freshest concentration…”
Tim Exile (about “Synaptic Research“)
“You managed to surprise me with my own work”
Mark Tamea (about the 2009 mix)
“It is a great place to keep up with recent developments, the focus being less on long feature stories or interviews and more on recommendations and on providing access to inspiring new music – it is hard leaving his page without having found at least a handful of new personal favourites.”
Tobias Fischer, Tokafi
“Understated but informative, his blog provides a community for musical collages and reviews, leaving focus purely on the music of which it celebrates. Peter’s extensive knowledge and passion is a rarity that can’t be rivaled.”
Below are some listener’s reactions to the mixes and the blog.
Thanks to everyone taking the time to listen and the trouble to react!
Feedback is always much appreciated!!
BTW: You can of course also react and comment using the comment field on the entry pages.
- I find it really impressive that ambientblog.net is active for such a long time and still provides great, oftenly obscure music. I remember being it really helpful back in 2010s when my musical journey began. I’ve got amazing memories with music of A Winged Victory for the Sullen or Loscil which was due to your articles, that i find out about them. Even nowadays, though everyone has less and less free time, i look at your site sometimes or listen to your mixes.
Have a good time and please continue your work – it is important for all music lovers!
- USB arrived a couple of days ago, though I’ve been listening to the mixes for the past couple of weeks!
Your “ambientblog.net” imagery and “kaleidescopic” sound are effective as “mantram” and inclusive as “mandala;” …”rope to the sky” transcendance.
Good for driving or early morning headphones, when no one else is around 🙂
- Profound soundscapes! Your range, skill, and efforts (and joy of sharing) are much admired (and appreciated)!
- Thank you for creating those beautiful and heart-touching mixes. I did only hear a few yet, but I do like them a lot…
- This is a drug without any serious side effects!
GvdZ (about the USB Collection)
- ambientblog.net is a treasure for all sound lovers. i’m very happy to own a usb stick full of ambient bliss, and magnificently crafted ambient mixes.
- You are a inspiration for me, and I never fall tired listening your Mixes and individual suggestions. Thanks to you who introduce me Akira Rabelais, Fovea Hex and The Haffler Trio, among others. Many thanks once more.
- I love your blog and it has introduced me to new music, and help me discover releases by artists I already knew (such as the Brian Eno Robert Fripp collaboration “beyond even”) that has inspired my own music. Thank you so much for helping to promote and introduce people like myself to beautiful life changing music.
- you make such great mixes!
- I’ve been enjoying the blog for quiet some time now. I’ve been introduced to some good music thanks to it.
- I really like your work with the site! I have found alot of new artist thru the year!
- thanks for maintaining the ambientblog.net – one of the best ambient oases in the web!
- Whenever I listen to anything that’s come from your direction I remind myself that i really should listen to much more music.
- Thanks for your hard work on “Ambient Blog” —I appreciate the HUGE effort and integrity you’ve put into the site and have enjoyed reading!
- All DJs regardless of genres should strive to attain this kind of artistic expression in their mixes. Respect!
DJ Seroton (On Synaptic Research)
- I’m listening through your back catalogue of mixes again, enjoying them sooo much. You’re a national treasure. If I ever get round to writing an album again (this may be many years hence) it would be my dream for you to co-produce it/conduct the narrative!!
- Can’t recommend these mixes enough. Peter Van Cooten blends beautiful scapes that go down well when writing, reading and coding….
Arno Peeters, TapeTV
- Thanks so much for everything you have done to support independent ambient music composers – you are a treasure to the community!
Jeffrey Ericson / Chronotope Project
- Peter’s extensive knowledge and passion is a rarity that can’t be rivaled.
Amber Ainsworth, Sphere Magazine
- I have been a long time follower of your blog and the careful selection of artists and albums that you post has helped guide my musical inclination and knowledge. I wanted to first and foremost thank you for doing what you do, creating a space where music that deserves a spotlight is able to get one. Keep on spreading the thought provoking sounds and artists who deserve a place to present their work.
- Just a great recent discovery…and the App rocks. Renews my faith in mankind and intellectual curiosity : ). Keep up the great work! A new follower…
- Roamin put me on to your mixes whilst I was staying in Australia, and I’m working my way through your not inconsiderable body of work. I shudder to think how long your mixes take to put together, but the craftsmanship is top notch and shines through in these beautiful pieces!
- I was really pleased to discover your ambient music site. I have been fascinated by this music for the last 6 years, and have even created my own ambient tunes. Keep up the good work!
- Hi, I’ve discovered AmbientBlog last month and I’ve spent so many hours by reading and listening your posts ! It’s perfect.
- Your blog is the greatest ambient blog out there ! Really !!! I allready found so much great music and acoustic art on it. Keep up this great work !
- Love your soundscapes! Brilliant co-work with Klankschap also. Great listen when working at my studio, conspiring new story´s around my artwork 🙂 Thnx!
Lars Daniel Rehn
- Big respect for what you’re doing with your ambient blog and with promoting good music! It is indeed thanks to people like you that the music eventually reaches the people that would love it! Especially having in mind that most labels (esp. netlabels) are managed and maintained as a more of a hobby thing and the people (like me, and also like you, i guess) have their full time jobs, and the amount of stuff coming out. It is really difficult to keep a proper PR and promotion of the label nowadays, so everything that happens really happens because of devoted people like you!
Ivo Petrov; Mahorka.org
- I have been a fan of your blog for some time. You have turned me onto some wonderful music, thank you.
- i love your ambient blog man, keeps me updated with almost everything!
- Gefeliciteerd met je succes en de goed beluisterde (en gemaakte) mixen!
Geweldig dat je er zo’n enthousiast publiek mee weet te bereiken. Ik vind je ook steeds beter worden erin, gek genoeg ben je als maker bijna helemaal verdwenen en zijn de laatste paar mixen die ik beluisterd heb een organisch verloop waar begin en einde van gebruikt materiaal bijna helemaal niet meer van elkaar te onderscheiden zijn. Maar dat maakt de mixen ook zo sterk en daarmee ook jou als maker vind ik, want dat is natuurlijk maar een mening : )
- a very good place for the amateur of ambient music
- Mr. van Cooten: ‘ a bit of a Cosmic Balance’ is what your lifes’ work has brought to me, Thank You – also having lived & breathed Music for most of my 70 years, and having felt unfulfilled with a great portion of that enjoyment, I recently was led to ‘Ambient Music’, and your work, Thank You again for enabling so many souls to participate within such a pallatte as you offer in this genre.
- My ‘Eternal’ Thanks and keep pursuing your dreams and intuitions !
- Vele uren verbijsterend knap in elkaar gezette klanklandschappen…
- What an amazing array of mixes you’ve put together. Real labours of love!
- LOVE the site and have discovered so many new things because of you. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
- I really dig the tracks on your blog and the feel of it is pretty easy on the senses.
- Chillzone without borders!
- Zonder enige twijfel en waarde oordeel, heb je de mooiste site waar in verhouding weinig te zien, maar des te meer te horen izzz. Says an old fart. 1971
- ben je muziek gaan luisteren op aanraden van een collega, en ik moet zeggen dat ik er helemaal weg van ben. Briljante soundscapes en moods zet je neer!
- Thanks again for the mixes. You are ridiculously talented and make me, a fellow music type person (done some Nine Inch Nails remixes over the years, plus some of my own stuff) quite jealous:)
- Great finds in ambient music together with knowledgeable liner notes. Continuously manages to deliver music that I haven’t heard of and is a joy to read.
Suecae Sounds – “The best music blogs (you’ve probably never heard of)”
- ‘Klank Apotheek’. Dat schoot mij te’binnen. Aldus naar/via je site luisterende naar…
Walter van der Ent
- enjoying your mixes one after another… great restraint, deep knowledge, exquisite taste!
Maximum respect man!
- I really like your blog. The whole idea of there being one place where great ambient music (and other genres too!) are massed is such a great idea. I really respect what you do, and am appreciative of the effort you clearly put into maintaining your blog.
- Leave it to Peter van Cooten of AmbientBlog to discover and bring to our attention a few gems that fell through the cracks… Always with his finger on the pulse of latest trends in ambient, modern classical, and experimental genres, Peter covers some of our favorite and previously unknown selections on his site
- Ik zit al uren met gespitste oren in m’n speakers. Wat een verademing. Dit is precies wat ik al een tijd zocht. Helemaal enthousiast.
Willem van Maren
- Great and fantastic podcast, great and fantastic blog. Recommended just for educated ears.
Jordi Fradera (via Facebook)
- Perfect sonic mood enhancers
- I’ve been enjoying your site for quite some time now and felt it time to comment on all its ‘ WONDERFULLNESS’ 🙂 The mixes are something I listen to,without fail, on a continual basis, and always look forward to updates.To find the calibre of Artists you’re showcasing is no mean fete.
Congrats from a loyal follower.
- Music for Astronauts – best Ambient-Portal in the Web! Love to paint to this Music!
- I have been a longtime reader of ambientblog.net. I can seriously credit you with opening my mind to a TON of great new artists.
- I love your mixes. The music you select is interesting,touching, inspiring, but not obtrusive, and I always listen to them when I’mediting my photos, which I mostly do in the evening. It’s a perfect background that keeps me focused.
- Gisteren door (de tegen de schemering) sneeuw gebanjerd. Met eufcurse de nodige mixen van uwer hand op mijnkopfhorer. Landscaping Royalè.
- Your website Ambientblog.net is superb. I’m very glad to have encountered it. The dark winter nights have just got a little lighter (or is it darker?), better, either way.;) I look forward to exploring it more thoroughly.
- I enjoy your mixes very much. And I want you to know that I also support the artists you feature by purchasing their CDs. Your commitment and hard work is much appreciated.
- If you enjoy the experimental, minimal and atmospheric these extraordinary mixes are a must listen.
FlawedMonkey (via Facebook)
- In de afgelopen weken heb ik je mixen stukje bij beetje binnen gehaald via itunes en de playlists in een word document gezet. Nu kan ik op mijn internetloze vakantie!
Ik ben ontzettend blij met ambientblog….
Els K (via Facebook)
- Peter was one of the few guys at Dutch national radio truly willing to take risks. He never cared for image or star-appeal and always went straight for the music. It’s a pity his show was taking off schedule, but ambientblog is still an excellent source for ambient, drones and sound art…
- Liked it plenty. Have a number of your mixes on the old iPod. Frequently listen to them at work.
KindlyStranger (via Twitter)
- thank YOU for sharing a such great masterpiece.
Zool (about Peinzing-1)
- Ik heb Dreamscenes 1 t/m 4 gedownload. Ik was wat down en daas, en ben toen ‘s avonds met 1 van die mixen op mijn hoofd in de Hoogvliet boodschappen gaan doen 🙂 🙂 🙂 ->
De buitenwereld word er weer een stuk acceptabeler door. Het was bijna een soort 3D arthouse film, die aan me voorbij ging. Moest wel ff wennen met focussen, eeehh? wat moest ik ook’alweer hebben?
Walter van der Ent
- PvC´s listening suggestions are just about the most reliable on this list!
SF (via firstname.lastname@example.org mailinglist)
- Ik kan mijn bewondering en dankbaarheid nooit genoeg gestalte geven voor mensen zoals jij, die koppig goede muziek naar voor blijven schuiven, ondanks het feit dat er nauwelijks geïnteresseerden zijn. Word je daar nooit moedeloos bij?
- Your blogs are wonderful. Thanks for the share!
- Snow falling outside, bubbles floating inside and Ambientblog mix on the ipod.
DM (via Twitter)
- It’s a fantastic resource. Go on, download a podcast or two, darken the lights and sit back. Each one lasts an hour or so and drifts through so many of my favourite artists. If you like what you hear, listen to the rest. What a treat!
- Like myself, most of you probably will not be very familiar with with this style, and it takes a little while to get used to the sound. But once it captivates your mind, it will take you along on a mental trip, much like classical music or movie scores. Not a single beat is heard, but wicked things are definitely happening!
Lock It Down